Be sure to scroll to the bottom to order
Most of our ACB mouthpieces are in stock in the standard blank. Other ACB blanks are made as a custom order and might not always be in stock. Please review the comparison sheet for size equivalencies. Please note that almost every manufacturer measures in slightly different places so the comparison information below is for broad comparisons only.
All custom orders run 3-4 weeks from payment and must be paid in full before the order is made. Please review our shipping and return policy here.
Please note there are no returns on custom orders, Gold plating is considered a custom order.
Austin Custom Brass trumpet mouthpieces are made in the US with the absolute best tolerances in the industry:
Please see the comparison chart for more info or call the Mouthpiece Hotline with questions or to place an order! +1-781-816-9664
|Mouthpiece||Backbore||OD||ID||Cup Shape||Cup Depth||Closest|
|Papa Bear||OO||1.070||0.684||Deep Bowl||8.5||Laskey 84D, Warbuton 2D|
|Baby Bear||O||1.070||0.684||Deep Bowl||8.5||Laskey 84D, Warbuton 2D|
|Bee Bear||O||1.070||0.684||Medium B Bowl||7||Laskey 84B, Warbuton 2MD|
|Cee Bear||A1||1.070||0.684||Medium C Bowl||6||Laskey 84C, Warbuton 2MC|
|1D||A1||1.150||0.684||Deep Bowl||9||Hickman GW, Bach 1X, Monette B1-1|
|1MD||A1||1.150||0.684||Medium deep Bowl||7.5||Hickman GW, Bach 1X, Monette B1-1|
|New York 1||O||1.060||0.677||Deep Bowl||8||30's Bach NY1, Current 1|
|1CWE||A1||1.100||0.670||Modified B Bowl||7||None|
|1B||O||1.080||0.676||Deep B Bowl||8||1B, Laskey 80B|
|1C||MO||1.079||0.674||Medium C Bowl||7.5||Haefer 1HC, Bach 1C|
|1.25 Orch||MO||1.070||0.672||Medium C Bowl||7||Yamaha 16C4, Schilke 16C4|
|MV 1.25C||O||1.070||0.673||Modified BC Bowl||7||Bach Mount Vernon 1 1/4C|
|1.25CB||A1||1.070||0.672||Modified B Bowl||7.25||Curry 1.25BC, Bach 1 1/4C|
|1.25C||A1||1.070||0.672||Medium Deep C Bowl||7||Bach 1/4 C, Tilz 1 1/4CE, Monette B2|
|1.25CS||MO||1.068||0.671||Medium C Bowl||6||Monette B2S3, ACB 1.25C, MV 1 1/4C|
|1.25CDS||S||1.068||0.671||Medium Shallow Bowl||5||Monette B2LD|
|1.5B||A1||1.098||0.669||Deep B Bowl||7.5||Tilze 1 1/2E, Bach 1 1/2B, Monette B3|
|1.5CB||MO||1.068||0.668||Modified B Bowl||7.25||Curry 1.5BC, Warbuton 3MD, Bach 1.5C, Monette B3|
|1.5C||S||1.066||0.668||Medium C Bowl||6||Curry 1.5C, Warbuton 3MC, Bach 1.5C, Monette B3, GR 67|
|1.5R||MO||1.07||0.667||Modified D/V Bowl||5.5||Monette B3L, Bach 1.5D|
|665 MC||S||1.067||0.665||Modified C/V Shape||6.5||Mount Vernon 3C, GR 66.5, Monette B3|
|1.065||0.664||Modified BV Bowl||8||Mount Vernon 3B, BH3, Monette B4|
|MV 3CB||A1||1.072||0.664||Modified B Bowl||7.5||Bach Mt. Vernon 3C, Monette B4|
|MV 3C||MO||1.072||0.664||Medium Deep C Bowl||7||Bach Mt. Vernon 3C, Monette B4S|
|MV 3L||S||1.072||0.664||Medium Shallow Bowl||5||Bach Mt. Vernon 3D, Monette B4L|
|2B||A1||1.065||0.660||Medium Deep Bowl||7||None|
|MV||O||1.065||0.656||Medium C Bowl||6||Bach 2 1/2C|
|3S||MT||1.066||0.656||Shallow Bowl||4||Bach 3D/E, Curry 3DE., Monette B5L|
|3||MO||1.063||0.654||Deep Bowl||8||Old Bach 3|
|3B||A1||1.072||0.653||Medium B Bowl||7||Bach 3B, Monette B5|
|3C||S||1.072||0.653||Medium C Bowl||6||Bach 3, Warbuton 4MC, Schilke 14B|
|3CS||S||1.066||0.650||Modified C Bowl||5.5||Monette B6s1, GR 65M, Pickett 5D|
|3DS||S||1.066||0.650||Medium Shallow Bowl||4.5||Monette BLM, GR 65M/S, Pickett 5D|
|3ES||A2||1.066||0.650||Shallow Bowl||4||Monette BL, GR 65S, Pickett 5E|
|5B||MO||1.068||0.644||Medium B Bowl||7.5||NY Bach 5B, Pickett 5B, GR 74.7 MX|
|5C||S||1.068||0.644||Medium C Bowl||6||Bach 5B, Pickett 5C, Curry 5C, Monette B6|
|5CS||S||1.068||0.644||Modified C Bowl||5.5||Above but more efficient cup|
|7M||MO||1.059||0.642||Medium Shallow V||5||Giardinelli 7M, Bach 7D, Monette B7|
|7PT||S||1.059||0.640||Shallow Bowl||4.5||Bach 7E, GR 64S, Giardinelli 7S|
|7DE||MO||1.059||0.642||Shallow Bowl||4||Bach 7E, GR 64S, Giardinelli 7S|
|7||MO||1.059||0.637||Deep Bowl||8||NY Bach 7|
|7B||A1||1.042||0.637||Medium Deep Bowl||7||NY Bach 7B|
|10CV||MT||1.058||0.630||Medium V||5||Giardinelli 10M, M Shew 2|
|10.5C||S||1.058||0.629||Medium C Bowl||6||NY Bach 10 1/2C|
|Lead 1||A2||1.060||0.627||Very Shallow Bowl||3||Shew Yamaha Lead, M Shew 1, Giardinelli 10S|
|Lead 1.25||A2||1.058||0.627||Shallow Bowl||4||Shew Yamaha Lead, M Shew 1, Giardinelli 10S|
|Lead 1.5||A2||1.080||0.666||Very Shallow Bowl||3||Schilke 14a4a (was 666 model)|
|TA1||MO||1.084||0.639||Modified V Cup||6||None|
|TA2||MT||1.065||0.664||Medium Shallow Bowl||4.5||Monette B4L, Bach MV 3D|
|TA-Lead||T||1.052||0.630||Medium Shallow Bowl||4.5||M. Shew 1.75|
|TAZ-CS||A1||1.076||0.625||Medium C Bowl||5.5||Deepened version of Ta-Z|
|TA-Screech||A2||1.080||0.618||Extremely Shallow Bowl||2||None|
|TA-SN||A2||1.068||0.617||Shallow Bowl||3||TA-Screech with Narrow Rim|
|H2 Vintage||MO||1.045||0.637||Medium Deep V||7.5||Vintage Gustat Heim|
|H3||MO||1.045||0.637||Medium Deep V||7.5||Vintage Gustat Heim|
|1-27 Retro||MT||1.104||0.628||Medium Shallow Bowl||4||Al-Cass 1-27|
Larger Sized ACB mouthpieces (.674+) :
- Papa Bear: This mpc is not for the faint of heart. It is an extremely large mouthpiece (.684) which puts it around old Bach 1 diameter. The cup is a large bowl, throat #20 and a custom backbore to pair with this piece for the most efficiency while maintaining a HUGE sound.
- Bee Bear: Similar to the Papa this mouthpiece has a medium large, b-shaped bowl, and slightly smaller backbore.
- New York 1: This originally started out as a CMM scan of a very early New York Bach 1 mouthpiece. The cup and rim are very similar, the backbore and throat are mated with this cup to produce a very large sound shape. A great orchestral mouthpiece!
- 1C: This is my take on an older Bach 1C but improved throat and backbore combo. It feels significantly more efficient and sounds more energized while maintaining a rich core throughout the registers. Standard 24 and my 10/24 combo backbore are on this piece.
Smaller Symphonic sized mouthpieces (.668-674):
- 1.25 CB: This has a classic Mt. Vernon 1 1/4C rim that's blended in the CAD program with a great old Bach 5B cup. The result is an incredibly rich sounding mouthpiece without losing efficiency or having the turbulent points caused by a traditional "screw-rim" setup.
- 1.25C: This is a take on a great 1 1/4C mouthpiece with some refinements in bore, backbore, and throat. To me it feels more like a 1.5C due to the great efficiency.
- 1 1/2B: This is a great sounding orchestral piece. While not as wide as the PAPA (the diameter is like a modern 1 1/2) the rim is comfy and forgiving. The cup bowl is reminiscent of some rotary trumpet mouthpieces. I've always loved those pieces except the backbores and end shanks are really not made for conventional piston trumpets. My pieces are and still work really well in rotary trumpets!
- 1 1/2C: This is one of my best-selling mouthpieces and extremely comfortable compared to other manufacturer's "cookie cutter" rim contoured 1 1/2's
- 1.5 CB: Similar to the 1.25 CB with my ACB 1 1/2C rim
Classic "MV" diameter sized pieces:
- MV 1 1/4C: This is my modernized take on this classic mouthpiece. I match this piece with my O backbone and a slightly enlarged throat and throat entrance. It plays incredibly well and also has a very "classic" sound!
- 665MC: slightly larger than the MV 3C this has a more efficient cup shape than on my MV 3C
- MV 3C: Another special mouthpiece, please check out this link for more info: http://austincustombrass.mybigcommerce.com/austin-custom-brass-mv-3c-special-mouthpieces/
Medium sized Standard series Mouthpieces (.630-656)
- 3: My take on a classic 1928 piece. I tweaked a bunch inside this mouthpiece and while it still retains the core sound the piece plays considerably more efficiently and consistently in all the registers.
- 3B: Same rim as on my 3C but with a medium deep B-shaped bowl. It's one of my most popular mouthpieces and has an incredibly warm tone
- 3C: A take on a fantastic Bach (from the late 60's) 3C which I have never played a 3C like it. I think the added mass and proper matching backbore for this piece make this a formidable all-around mouthpiece!
- 3CS: Similar to the 3C except it's slightly smaller and also has a much more efficient entrance into the throat. It helps the articulation and adds a lively "zip" to the sound. It is especially good on vintage trumpets or overly dark horns to make them "speak".
- 5B: My modernized take on one of the finest mouthpieces ever made, the NY 5B. I've made the piece much more efficient than the vintage counterpart and also maintained the great sound shape and spread. It's one of my most popular sizes.
- 5C: Long considered a transitional mouthpiece for the student I've spent a bunch on time on this piece as most of my earlier prototypes didn't make the cut. This has an incredibly rich tone with fantastic articulations and ease in all registers. It's a great, comfy mouthpiece!
Smaller diameter Standard Series Mouthpieces:
- 10 1/2C: While this is a fairly small diameter mpc it produces a big tone and Fine high register, resonating low register. I started with this piece thinking it would a piece I'd start students on and find it very good for all players, especially those with very thin lips and ones who want a bit more corner support.
- 10CV: Another new addition to the line, this piece was made for folks who want a compact efficient commercial mouthpiece who "bottom-out" on smaller pieces. This rim is very similar to an older Giardinelli 10 and the cup a medium shallow hybrid v/bowl shape. The result is a very good all-around show and commercial piece. It's also an excellent choice for jazz soloists looking for a piece for extended solo work.
- 1-27: Now available is my take on a fantastic vintage piece, the 1-27. It's cup and rim are loosely based off the Al cass mouthpiece. I then used a slightly more aggressive entrance into the bowl of the mouthpiece and also a tighter backbore to make the piece zip even more. The rim diameter is around a 7C but the rim itself is round and comfortable. The cup volume is less than a 7C for sure. It has a lot more efficiency and sparkle to the sound.
- Lead 1.25: I've always loved the cup of the Shew 1.25 and have used this piece for many years. I have personally felt the piece's weight, straight throat, and backbore could be improved for my own use and have designed a piece to make the piece more forgiving (especially in this blank) and gained more core in the overall sound shape. It's a weapon for the commercial player!
TA Series (designed for my own personal playing needs)
- TA1: Please see the link for more info: http://austincustombrass.mybigcommerce.com/products/Austin-Custom-Brass--TA-1--Trent-Austin-Signature-mouthpiece.html
It has a cup design which while being fairly shallow bowl shaped has an efficient entrance into the bottom of the cup to make it very efficient without brittle. The rim is semi-flat with good support and is close to a "3-ish" diameter (.664).
The TA1 is still my primary piece and I find it fantastic for everything but lead and show playing. That's where the TA2 comes in for me. It feels like a great show piece. I just did a gig on it playing 3 horn Sinatra arrangements and it was great to solo on and then sizzles above high C without getting smaller in sound shape.
- Ta-Lead: This is a model I've created for my own lead use. This rim is extremely comfortable, similar to an old Giardinelli 10S but rounder and forgiving. The cup depth is shallow enough for great compression yet produces an incredibly rich tone in all registers. Standard 28 throat and my "zip" backbore round out this model. It's a great lead mouthpiece for people who tend to "Bottom out" on small cups.
- Ta-Screech: A new take on a classic piece... this is a very small, high compression mouthpiece that is surprisingly easy to play. 30 throat and "zip" backbore produces one of the most efficient pieces I've ever played!
- TA-Z: The TA-Z (or "Zing") might be one of the most comfortable commercial mouthpieces I've designed that can still maintain a beautiful sound from Pedal C to Double C and above. It features a .625 diameter with a medium flat rim and shallow hybrid V/S cup.
Want to check out the "insides" of some of my most popular pieces out? Please click this link for images!
The following audio samples are raw with no added effects and totally live. Getting the shop up and running has taken a bit out of my efficiency. I literally went from one piece to the next with no breaks (not ideal when you go from a huge orchestral piece to an efficient lead piece in less than a minute). The differences are more noticeable in these audio clips:
4 new mouthpiece sound clips... with the 1 1/2B, TA2, 10 1/2C, and 10CV below:
For custom orders use the "contact" tab above!
Reviews Hide Reviews
Super fast customer response time and product delivery! The mouthpiece is solid, feels insanely comfortable and sounds amazing. It centers the pitch, the tone is incredible and projection is great. I could not be more pleased. Austin Custom Brass is setting a new standard in service and quality.
Always Great stuff from ACB
Just got the 1.5R - super rich sound but easy to play. Comfortable rim with inner bite. Very nice guys!
This mouthpiece is great. It's top heavy, and has a much brighter than my previous mouthpiece (a plastic topped ACB). I'm very satisfied with how this came, I asked them to cut it for a Reeve's sleeve and it was given a very clean cut. It took a while for it to come (~7 weeks), but it was well worth the wait. Thank you Austin Custom Brass for the amazing mouthpiece.
After 27 years of playing a Monette B1-2 mouthpiece (a VERY LARGE orchestral piece), I made the switch to a 1.25CS. I decided on the change, because I felt I was 'falling into' my mouthpiece, the more I practiced and challenged my range. I've put 2 solid weeks on this mouthpiece, and I can honestly say it feels GREAT. It has the same stable feel that my Monette had. The sound I get is slightly brighter, but well balanced. The response is also awesome! On the efficiency of this mouthpiece: I can now play a daily amount that would have previously killed my chops. Now, I'm going and going, and no worse for wear the next day! I can't wait to see where my playing goes with this piece as my "home base". Thanks Trent for all the knowledge & help in choosing!
3c modern blank
Excellent piece. Great guys to deal with.
What a great mouthpiece! The standard ACB 3C model has an incredibly comfortable rim and the sound is full and resonant. As advertised, this will make for a great all around mouthpiece. I'm very happy I added this one to my mouthpiece arsenal!
I play three Austin Brass mouthpieces: a 1.5cs on my Bb and C, a 1.5CMDF on my flugel and a 7m on my piccolo. Before discovering Austin about eighteen months ago, I had played another brand of mouthpieces for more than 15 years, but have not looked back since switching. I find my Austin mouthpieces to be well-made, comfortable, responsive and stylish. Whether I am in the pit, working with students, or playing in church or an orchestra, Austin mouthpieces help produce the sound I am looking for. Each time I have ordered a mouthpiece, I have emailed the shop with questions. I have been very pleased with the responses I have gotten to each of my questions. I have also been pleased with the speed of service I have experienced from Austin Custom Brass. I know the shop is incredibly busy, but they have answered my emails and shipped my merchandise quickly and professionally. I will most definitely be purchasing more equipment from ACB in the future and often recommend the shop to my friends.
Just to give you a refresher, I was the guy who had a show in Worcester and was in desperate need for a lead piece and I thought you were located in Texas! I purchased the lead as a quick fix became I was struggling on the piece I had in my case! After consulting with you, you had me try a few pieces and I settled on the Lead 1! I was thoroughly surprised at the sound I got but what also caught my ears were the compliments from the cast! They could hear a difference in my sound too! As soon as I'm done with the Northeast leg of this tour, I plan on consulting with you again for, a flugelhorn piece and perhaps I could get this lead piece in a V-cup! Great job Trent and it was pleasure to finally meet you in person!